Frequently Asked Questions

What do I use for a front steering pump?

If it is off a one ton truck, you can use GM, Ford, or Dodge. It will be set for higher pressures and be at maximum volume.

What hydraulic cylinders do I use?

Use what you can afford; Tie Rod, Welded, or Custom. Just make sure it is rated for at least 2500 PSI. A common cylinder has a 2-inch bore and 8-inch stroke. For balanced steering, use two cylinders.

What steering valve should I use?

Char-Lynn and Danfoss are the most common. The trick is to match the components: pump, valve, and cylinders.

What electric pump should I use for the rear steering?

Stone is the most popular. Be sure it is set up for the job it is expected to do (race, ride, or show).

Can I use an electric pump to run my front steering?

Yes, BUT the batteries will not last more than a few minutes. That's why only pull trucks and sand or mud drag cars use electric front steering pumps. For rock climbing, trail riding, or monster trucks, stick with an engine driven power steering pump.

Plumbing: what should I use?

Only use hydraulic fittings, not black pipe or brass fittings. As for the hose, we recommend the black hydraulic type with an SAE rating of 100R2. This is a two-wire braid that is safe for steering and rated by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). As long as the SAE 100R2 number appears on the hose, the brand makes no difference. 3/8" or #6 is large enough to do the job.

What fluid should I use?

10 weight hydraulic oil is the best all around. Transmission fluid is for very cold weather use only.


The port-mounted crossover relief valve (it bolts to the front steering valve) prevents shock at the front wheels from being transmitted to the steering wheel. This is important for Monster Trucks. Landing hard on one front wheel could spin the steering wheel out of your hands or even break an arm. If you think you might see rough service with any hydraulic front steering system, I recommend you use this safety relief valve.